Among 5 institutions under Tribhuvan University (TU), Institute of Engineering was established in 2029B.S. (1970 A.D.) Institute of Engineering (IOE) with the primary objective of producing capable and competitive engineering graduates as well as overshares. Before that, it was first technical school which was started from around 1930 in Pulchowk, Lalitpur. IOE was formed by merging Nepal Engineering Institute and the Technical Training Institute at Thapathali which were later renamed as Pulchowk Campus and Thapathali Campus by bringing both under Tribhuvan University.
IOE has been running various courses of engineering for diploma, bachelor’s as well as master’s degree and Ph.D. and is regarded as one of the best educational institute in South Asia based on various rankings. Bachelor level engineering in Computer programs was started at 1998.
Currently, there are four constituent campuses operating in different regions of Nepal which includes: Central Campus (Pulchowk Engineering College), Thapathali Campus, Purbanchal Campus (Dharan) and Paschimanchal Campus (Pokhara). With the view of involving private sector also in managing the manpower of Nepal and help for economic growth, 10 private engineering colleges are provided affiliation to conduct different engineering courses.
Institute of Engineering has 10 different centers namely:
- Centre for Information Technology (CIT)
- Centre for Applied Research and Development (CARD)
- Centre for Energy Studies (CES)
- Continuing Education Division (CED)
- Consultancy Services (IECS)
- Curriculum Implementation and Material Development Unit (CIMDU)
- Centre of Pollution Studies (CPS)
- Centre for Disaster Studies (CDS)
- Industry Liaison Council (ILC)
Currently, Dean of IOE is Prof. Dr. Triratna Bajracharya.